Saturday 6 April 2013

Facebook Home and HTC First

Yes! Finally I can have Facebook on my lockscreen. But I never really wanted it nor does it even fill me with the least bit of excitement. I don't know what goes on in Facebook HQ but this just seems like a last ditch attempt to monetise their business model further. It's also a U-turn on what they've been saying for years now, they wouldn't make a Facebook phone. Does make me wonder how much data they need for targeted ads though.

Why on Android?
Well that's pretty easy, because of how versatile Android is and how the lockscreen has been developed allows Facebook to come along and implement this. This is why it's so closely linked to Android and iOS is left slightly in the rain as developers can't replicate the same thing on an iPhone. This is the same with the HTC First, the Facebook phone, similar to the skins that Samsung, HTC and other phone developers put on top of Android and the forked version of Android that Amazon use on their Kindle Fire, Facebook and HTC have put together a Facebook version of Android which is supposed to have Facebook at the heart of it. 

Who's this for? 
Good question! I really don't know, I use Facebook less and less and their app for Android is so poor in my opinion that I just need a final push to uninstall it and save myself so much battery in the process. I just can't quite make myself yet as it's still quite a convenient way of messaging some of my friends. I really think the HTC First must be for the younger generation because I can't see anyone older than me wanting to use this phone or Home for that matter. Why would I ever want to see my newsfeed on my lockscreen, I don't particularly want other people to be able to see my newsfeed with the click of a button either.

So...privacy?
Facebook quickly tried to make sure that they wouldn't let privacy become an issue if anyone uses their app or phone. This hasn't stopped analysts predicting the software could "destroy" privacy though. Facebook claim that the only data they will receive is the apps you run and nothing more but I don't think it's that clear cut, doesn't seem enough for them to be honest and I can understand if they were trying to quash privacy fears only to slowly intrude on your privacy a little further down the line. This is just my natural inclination to be wary of big companies who want as much data from you as possible to sell or use to make money.

Conclusion
Like I said earlier, I don't know what goes on in Facebook HQ but I hope they don't think people view Facebook as the most important thing in their life because they are going to be bitterly disappointed. I think they're also overestimating the number of people who will purchase the phone and download Facebook Home as a result, maybe it will be a wakeup call that Facebook is becoming less and less relevant in this world and I welcome that wholeheartedly.

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment