Sunday 17 March 2013

LG and HTC's attempt to steal limelight

A lot of attention was focussed on Samsung's midweek launch event of their new flagship phone, the Galaxy S4 but while this was going on, HTC and LG were not so quietly trying to steal some of the limelight with what I can only describe as borderline distasteful advertising, well in HTC's case anyway. I have to hand it to LG in that their advertising was at least clever and funny, but if anyone had a look at HTC's twitter feed at the time then you might have seen some of their tweets. I'm a fan of Samsung, I'll admit, but not to the point where I will foam at the mount to defend them and the constant tweets that came from HTC made it quite hard for me to even contemplate taking their phones seriously or even their company. I'm all for advertising but not in that way.

LG be trolling...

Here's LG's advertising in Times Square:
lg-samsung-invasion
Courtesy of Gizmodo
You have to give them credit for come up with this, plastered right above Samsung's ad, you can see LG advertising their phones, the Optimus G.

HTC be boring...

And here's HTC's tweets:

































Quite a few retweets but I don't understand this kind of tactic, there were a lot of people for and against this one Twitter. I guess all publicity is good publicity and in HTC's case, a lot of people are talking about this stunt they pulled so maybe they got what they wanted but I for one don't approve of this style of shameless self-advertising and behaviour. At least try to be original or funny so people don't feel like the only reason you set out to make fun of a rival is because you can't compete with them.

At times I felt a little bit sorry for HTC and it was a bit cringeworthy. From their performance it's easy to see they, as well as most other Android phone makers, are struggling but this really isn't the answer. Try to stay professional next time eh? Failing that, try to be funny than pathetic. Thanks.

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment